    SubjectRe: e2fsck...
    On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Mofeed Shahin wrote:

    > So let me get this straight, If I want to check my file system for errors
    > there is no problems, but if I want to fix any errors found I have to
    > reboot via a boot disk, and then e2fsck the now unmounted drive ?
    >
    > If true (makes sense since it is a multitasking environment), then this is
    > not so good for my internet gateway, which may have some corruption.
    > But hey no use winging about it.
    >
    > Cheers Mof.

    If the drive is still bootable, it's easier and faster to do....

    At the LILO prompt hit ALT
    Then at the boot prompt..
    linux init=/bin/bash

    The machine will boot into bash. No login necessary, do...

    /sbin/fsck /

    That will do the root device (it's mounted readonly by the kernel).
    After that is through, `cat /etc/fstab` and fsck all the devices/
    paritions the same way.

    Once you are through, do `exec /sbin/init`. This will startup
    init, still with pid 1, and you are through (unless you need to
    sort out junk in /lost+found).

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.127 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.035 / U:0.880 seconds]