    SubjectRe: A patch for linux 2.1.127
    > It is thoretically possible to convert correct code to GNU `as` junk,
    > however, the damn thing doesn't even do MACROs so if I am going to

    Of course it doesn't do macros, this is unix. There's a perfectly good
    set of preprocessors that do macros, why should gnu as be another one to
    have its own different magical interpreter

    > want to use another tool. It also doesn't know how to write
    > a byte to a memory location, i.e., it doesn't know about the PTR
    > expression to tell it whether to write a byte, a word, or a longword
    > to a memory location when you do something like:

    of course it does - movb, movw, movl, and furthermore because it follows
    a cross platform standard I can read non x86 stuff easily. It took me about
    3 days to get the hang of gnu assembler while writing the original linux/smp
    boot code

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.017 / U:19.196 seconds]