SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Hello Chinese student
Date
Manuel J. Galan wrote:

|> My first installed distribution was SLS (anybody remember?)
|> with kernel 0.99.12...

May I top that with MCC Interim Release (0.96, I guess) ?
The good ol' times of Ross Biro's NET-1, no X, no init.d,
nearly everything had to be configured by hand (in only a
spoonful of files, though)...

Then SLS appeared (I'm still preserving the old install docs
for the days my kids will be asking me for them :), but remained
unmaintained at some stage... Slackware took over - and then
came RedHat (veni, vidi, vici...) must have been 3.0.3 (got aware
of them when their Mother's Day release hit the FTP servers).
Since I'm from Germany and using ISDN, I switched over to SuSE
when RH glitched into beta glibc (with 5.0)

|> Then came Slackware and after Redhat, Debian, Suse, etc. but
|> I never had that SLS excitement again :-(

I'm still excited, but the excitement isn't focused that much.

|> I wonder what happened with those guys...

Let's try to collect a "hall of fame of linux hackers of the first
and second days" !

I'd contribute (the first ones who come to mind, besides Linus of course):

Ross Biro - for the first network implementation (still remember
his account bir7)
Orest Zborowski (Zorst) - for first patches to run X
Fred van Kempen - took over on NET-2 development, but silently
disappeared, Alan Cox then stepped forward with Net-2Debugged
which later turned into Net-2E and current NET-3
Thomas Roell - who initiated what is now XFree86 (X386 at that time)
Andrew Tanenbaum :-) - for his flameful discussion with Linus
whether there'd be need for just another OS

... and many many others (don't be offended)

Steffen
--
Steffen Grunewald = steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de = fax +49-331-288-1266
My opinions are mine. You can rent them. Just ask me for prices :-)