       Date: 	Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:28:02 -0500 (EST)
    From: "Richard B. Johnson" <>

    There are no secrets on how this is done. Any competent assembly-
    language programmer would use this technique as a trade-off of RAM
    v.s. speed. The GNU pseudo-assem prevents me from porting this to

    ? Your application just would not a good usage of the inline asm
    feature of gcc, it was not designed for this sort of task. You can
    always choose some other method to achieve what you want.

    Although, I can't think of one situation where I wanted to do
    something incredibly crazy and grotesque in raw assembly on Sparc and
    couldn't find a way to do it within' a C source file with gcc. For
    example I once had a version of the UltraSparc/VIS unrolled memcpy
    completely in C using gcc, the arguments could be passed in, it
    required 7 versions of the 300 instruction loop, etc. all in one hunk
    of code, it had a return value, and it all worked.

    I think the bottom line is that gcc inline asms are more powerful in
    one aspect than other schemes, and in another aspect they are less
    powerful than such schemes. It was a trade off in design when they
    were initially implemented. Perhaps it's showing it's age now, so
    lets work on fixing it.

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:0.216 seconds]