SubjectRe: APM hibernate - IDE problems 2.1.127
On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Andreas Mohr wrote:

> But as soon as I tried to load any program that was not in memory cache,
> the HDD led went permanently on, there were lots of "hda: lost interrupt"
> and program load times were a hundred times higher than normal.
> Note: *not* processor "load" !!
> Once even a
> ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0x58, count=1
> occurred.

My laptop gets into a state where it does this regularly for periods of
time, and it's in one of those moods now. I do a simple suspend (not to
disk) of the box, and when it comes back up it's hosed. I've seen a
couple cases where it comes back to life after the kernel finally decides
to do a IDE bus reset, however, so I'm hoping that might be the solution.

It's a real pain in the a**, since I have to shutdown and boot my laptop
when it's in this mood, rather than just suspending it. And when I
forget, it's fsck'd up, literally. It's not one of those big/fast drives,
so the fsck takes a long time.

Someone mentioned doing a complete IDE restart, is anyone interested in
hacking together code to do this on APM restart? I've got enough other
stuff to work on (see the v4l2 page in my signature), but I'm more than
willing to test this.

Oh, yeah. I'm running 2.0.34. This is definitely *not* a 2.1.x issue.

TTYL,
Omega

Erik Walthinsen <omega@cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/
__
/ \ SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - http://www.seul.org/
| | M E G A Helping Linux become THE choice
_\ /_ for the home or office user

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:1.704 / U:0.056 seconds]