    SubjectRe: File locking problem with knfsd and IRIX
    On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Olaf Kirch wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 Nov 1998 11:28:33 EST, "Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn" wrote:
    > > | Let me clarify some things. Nfs v2 does not support lockd/statd, i.e.
    > > | file locking, as far as I know, only nfs v3 does.
    >
    > If this is what you get back from irix support I just hope you didn't
    > have to pay for it.

    Heh. That was my thought exactly when I read that. Supposedly
    this was from an SGI engineer too. :^)

    > Well, the limitation of lockd to 4byte cookies was just that it was
    > so simple to do, and I'd never seen a NLM implementation that didn't
    > do 4byte cookies. Technically, a cookie can be 1024 bytes long because
    > it's a netobj :(
    >
    > The changes needed to be made are reasonably trivial, but not entirely.
    > In lockd/xdr.h, you need to change nlm_args.cookie to look like this:
    >
    > struct nlm_args {
    > struct nlm_cookie {
    > unsigned char data[8]; /* normal NLM and irix */
    > unsigned int len;
    > } cookie;
    > };
    >
    > Obviously the decode and encode routines need to be changed to handle
    > up to 8byte cookies gracefully.
    >
    > The part where you've got to be careful is that for every NLM request,
    > the corresponding response must have the same cookie. That's because
    > Sun grafted their call/response NLM on their braindead ONC RPC
    > implementation.
    >
    > So basically you've got to check the places where cookie gets copied
    > to make sure we really copy the struct.

    But wait a minute. I noticed places in the code which checks for
    special cases like HP-UX. Now we'll have a new special case for 4byte
    cookies only for Irix. If these can be any size up to 1024bytes,
    shouldn't that be handled?

    I would love to be able to fix this problem, but I'm not confident
    in my abilities to make this change. (Also, I don't have access to a
    machine which I can reboot very often, nor one that I can make unstable
    through mistakes.)

    Is anyone able to fix this? I might be able to arrange access to
    the Irix machine for testing. Please let me know.

    > The NLM code was about the only part of the NFS code that I did not
    > touch when doing the NFSv3 patches. Hence NLM will definitely not work
    > with NFSv3 unless Alan adds the necessary patches.

    -Ben

    Benjamin Kahn /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
    (212) 924 - 2220 |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
    Meet Linux: Forrest Gump as an operating system.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.041 / U:3.424 seconds]