        From: Oliver Seidel <>

    I got myself the 2.1.125 kernel about a week ago. Unfortunately, I need a
    little program, "p3nfsd", which reads the memory of my psion organizer and
    makes its contents available as an NFS drive locally. The compilation
    process generates hundreds of errors, reporting redefinitions and
    inconsistencies of symbols between /usr/include/linux/wait.h and
    /usr/include/waitflags.h, etc.

    I have a redhat 5.1 installation with glibc-2.0.7-19.

    Could anyone here please point me to some documentation on how this is
    meant to be? Eg, should I replace the linux headers, should I replace the
    glibc headers, is it not meant to work, will I need to do some serious
    hacking to fix it and contribute the result back to you, or how else
    could I get this resolved?

    Anyone who includes <linux/foo.h> will be punished for that.

    Unfortunately, glibc itself also includes some Linux header files.
    Fortunately, the amount of Linux headers involved in glibc includes
    diminishes quickly.

    For you, there are several options. An easy one is to have /usr/include/linux
    point at a kernel tree that has nothing to do with 2.1.125, but is one that
    works with glibc. After all, glibc cannot know what strange things kernel
    developers will think of, and kernel developers do not want to know all
    about glibc's needs. Take an old and trusted tree, a 2.0.* one that existed
    at the time this glibc was released, and there are good chances that it
    will work fine (unless of course you are compiling programs that need to
    use the latest features, and some handwork is required).

    By the way, where is <linux/wait.h> included??
    (It does not occur in my glibc includes.)
    If it is from the source of your program, the first line of my answer applies.
    Throw it out immediately.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.021 / U:0.456 seconds]