SubjectRe: network nicety
Hi Simon.

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Simon Kenyon wrote:

> On 08-Oct-98 Bob Lanning wrote:

>> It is very hard to implement something like this. The data
>> channel for ftp has no real identification in it. The best way of
>> doing this is in the application.

> dare i suggest that *not* being able to identify traffic is good
> it might only be an ftp to you, but to me it might be that upgrade
> of some software that will rescue me from hackers, or a new release
> for a customer who is threatening to sue, or ...

> you get my point (maybe)

Sure - you're saying that just because you're downloading an
application for a customer, nobody else should be able to use that
link - and I have to say that I disagree with that viewpoint.

IMHO, the fact that an FTP transfer will automatically grab 100% of
the bandwidth of one's primary link given the slightest chance can
only be bad - and the same applies to any other protocol. What I'd
like to see is some form of bandwidth limiting system which prevents
any one protocol from grabbing more than 90% of the bandwidth to
itself, but which allows any protocol to use all otherwise unused
bandwidth if it needs it, but automatically relinquishes the excess
bandwidth as soon as anything else needs it.

Best wishes from Riley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.128 / U:0.156 seconds]