SubjectRe: [OT] RE: UDI and Free Software (fwd)
Lauri Tischler wrote:

> Alex Buell wrote:
> -- snip--
> > (and before you suggest disassembling, it's illegal)
>
> Since when ?
> Disassembly is an Timehonored Way (tm) to find out how things work.
> What do they do if you 'open the box', void warranty ?

There is at least one new WIPO treaty presently before the USA Congress
which would make "reverse engineering" illegal.

You may want to refer to http://www.wipo.org

There are also several case studies on the Internet concerning when
disassembly of a program does and does not violate the copyright.

There is also the software license itself, which most explictly
state that you are not allowed to "reverse engineer" the software.

If the USA Congress ratifies the WIPO treaty "reverse engineering"
will become illegal in the USA.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

entertaining angels
by the light of my computer screen
24-7 you wait for me
entertaining angels
while the night becomes history
host of heaven, sing over me
==Entertaining Angels==Newsboys

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.373 / U:0.032 seconds]