SubjectRe: 'disposable' dirty pages [was: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1]
Date
> portability is not an issue, we controll all the platforms and libc too.
> It might be hard to implement it, but thats not the question. The question
> is, how much memory will this free up, and how hard would it be to _use_
> this in applications.

The interface doesnt seem hard

mprotect(buf,len, MDISCARDABLE)

and then mprotect it back to something normal to use it. If the semantics
are "COW's the zero page if discarded else gives the existing page back"
then everything mallocish falls nicely into place.

Alan