SubjectRe: network nicety
> I am often frustrated that when I am running a network-intensive
> long-term process (generally a big FTP download), I get a big slowdown
> of burst-oriented interactive use (email, web browser, etc.). This is a
> particular problem since I am using a PPP connection. I have a couple
> ideas for solving this problem, and similar ones.
>
> First, I think that programs should have a netnice value (nnice?), along
> with a nice value. When transmitting packets, lower niceness processes
> (or threads.....) get higher priority. So if I were running a
> significant-use ftp server, I could set the netnice for my ftp server to
> 13, allowing other processes on my machine to have better
> responsiveness. Similarly, when using an ftp client to upload something
> big, I could set the netnice to 17 and keep on browsing. The best thing
> is that the performance of those big network transfers would not really
> go down much. They would just interfere less.

Um... doesn't TOS bit tweaking help this? IPChains has some mention
of it to greatly improve interactive performance even while heavy data
trasfer is taking place.

Mind you for some of the things you mention here I don't think TOS
tweaking will help, but have you given this a shot first?

Andrew

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.116 / U:0.656 seconds]