SubjectRe: [patch] Re: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, D. Schwingel wrote:

> Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:
> >
> > >Roy Bixler wrote:
> Logged in a VC and ran leak.
> Try to log into another VC and:

> /bin/login: can't map '/lib/'
> INIT: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> --------------------------------------
> The system remained responsive (however I can say that it had the same
> behaviour some kernel releases ago) but I wasn't able to run anything
> I could switch to the VC running leak an press ^C.
> The system is ok, I logged in, run xinit and I'm using netscape to write
> this.
> Im starting to have doubts if the patch was applied correctly, but I
> applied the patch, ran make dep and make bzImage. The timestamps seems
> correct and the image was created ok.
> I'm not sure what's hapenning...
> Is this the expected behaviour?

This is how it SHOULD be working.

This leaves the job of administration up to the admin. He should be aware
of when a program may have sucked up all available memory, and should
decide when and if to kill that process.

Just as you had to do, personally that look s much better than a hung
system yeah?