    SubjectRe: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1
    Shaun Wilson wrote:

    > On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

    [deleted]

    > if it's a program in user spae allocating that memory it is teh admin's
    > job to correct teh situation IMHO. That is what they they are there for.
    > If there's anyone running an open linux system that does not have top in
    > a VC or screen sorting by mem usage there is a problem.

    Shaun:

    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

    1) When I first started testing Rik's OOMKiller version 1 I was pleased
    to see that could be a solution for a long standing Linux problem (at
    least in my "user" vision): when the system got oom we can't even log in
    to solve the problem. (can't map libxxxx error). This situations was not
    caused by a malicious program/user, normally it were caused by a buggy
    daemon or a mail storm (not always a spam).

    2) I don't understand why OOM Killer in the kernel can be such a bad
    thing. If you don't want/need it, just disable it in the kernel config.

    3) I am using Linux (since 1.0) for (not so) small servers and several
    servers don't even have a keyboard/monitor. So it is very unlikely you
    will have a top running in *every* server monitor. I agree it is a good
    thing, but real life doesnt always allow it.

    4) I think Rik's approach is right and that Andrea's patch is a very
    good effort also. I don't think that we can say how a user must use the
    system, I think the user (maybe we) must have options to trigger a
    feature on or off as she/he needs.

    Just my two cents

    Dino

    [deleted]

    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.023 / U:29.728 seconds]