    SubjectRE: need filetype field in directory entries
    This is something an application can handle fine ala magic. If you are
    referring to file browsing, then the browser, too, can examine the
    first few bytes of a file to determine the file type. Not to knock the
    idea of having that all information pre-indexed to expedite a
    file-system GUI or other app, but it's not really necessary.

    Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
    > In message <>, "Johan M=
    > Andersen
    > " writes:
    I think it would be nice if I could do something to temporarily conside=
    r a certain
    file to have a certain type.=A0 In reiserfs style (as I understand it),=
    this might
    look something like
    display random-image.gif/text
    text being a pseudofile (I would call it a member function) whose conte=
    references random-image's but whose returned filetype is text, so that =
    display,=A0 a
    generic displayer, will display the image as an ascii dump, which can b=
    e very
    useful (esp with FITS files, etc.)

    Justin "Logic" Randall
    Programmer, Networking
    Ion Storm
    214-953-0101 x205

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.020 / U:20.184 seconds]