SubjectRe: bitkeeper
On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, David Lang wrote:

> correct me if I am wrong about the QT licence, but isn't it still free,
> they just refuse to put the GPL on it to give it's being free more power
> then their statement " we are going to continue to have this free"
>
> David Lang

No, it is Free-of-charge-moneywise, but there are restrictions on
it making it non-free. It imposes restrictions making it non-
kosher to bundle it (or parts of it) with any GPL/LGPL software.

The QT/KDE discussions, however, revolved around dependancy, which
a STUPID issue, considering some GPL stuff used to (and still does)
use Motif widgets.

-Shawn

> On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Gerhard Mack wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 22:14:42 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Gerhard Mack <gmack@imag.net>
> > To: Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>
> > Cc: Matthew Hawkins <matt@mail.goldweb.com.au>, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> > Subject: Re: bitkeeper
> >
> > On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > That, frankly, isn't the point. See http://www.opensource.org/ sometime,
> > > and see what the point Raul is trying to make is by not using something
> > > with a psuedo-free license is (much the same reason why many people won't
> > > use Qt).
> >
> > Ok I'm gonna ask..
> >
> > I can see the point about Qt since you need it to build kde, but what is
> > wrong with using development utils that are non free? If the license over
> > affects us we can simply stop using it can't we? It's not like anything
> > would require it to run.
> >
> > Gerhard
> >
> > PS I don't care either way just want that point clarified so I can make an
> > informed decision minus the rhetoric.
> >
> > --
> > Gerhard Mack
> > irc-admin skyline.starchat.net
> >
> > gmack@imag.net
> > InnerFIRE@starchat.net
> >
> > As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.
> >

> > -

> -

<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2083 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2102 for the rich and the dead.
839 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.059 / U:0.832 seconds]