    SubjectRe: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1
    Carlos Morgado wrote:

    > On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 09:11:54PM -0300, D. Schwingel wrote:
    > > Bill Hawes wrote:
    > > >
    > [snip ]
    > >
    > > When I tried Rick's patch it killed the leak process every time I
    > > tested, but my patched system also killed netscape several times when
    > > the system needed a lot of memory (not out of memory exactly), but I
    > > could not patch OOM Killer against 2.1.121 and didn't see any new
    > > version to check it out, so I don't have a final opinion.
    > >

    > Along with netscape you can kill X and xemacs to piss other users or Apache
    > or Squid or some big ass simulation some user is running on that box and is
    > crushial for the main company project.
    >
    > This is sadly a no one situtation. Admins can minize the problem with sane
    > and strategic (u)limits.
    >
    > I recall running my box out of mem (40M RAM + 128M swap) and just getting
    > insane trashing and processes getting poped left and right ..... no
    > crashing.

    Hi Carlos:

    I've seen my server boxes print "Unable to load interpreter" too much
    times.
    Also several important processes (httpd, sendmail, etc) stoped and could
    not spawn aditional processes.

    OOM Killer is not the solution for everyithing, but I have a lot of bad
    experiencies to tell with servers trashing to dead and stoping important
    services.

    I can crash my machine (2.1.124, 64MB RAM, 44MB Swap) with that little
    program and would be very happy having a few services stoped but the
    machine alive.

    Also Rik does some heuristic to do not kill processes with direct
    hardware access (eg, X) and things like that...

    Regards

    Dino

    > - --
    > Carlos Morgado - l39801@alfa.ist.utl.pt - http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~c39801
    > PGP Key fingerprint = 43 BF 53 98 EB 32 F5 17 9E EB 77 1F 57 8C C6 83
    > [.sig not available - hiding behynd lost inode]

    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:2.169 / U:0.184 seconds]