SubjectRe: Linus is on a powertrip..
On Sat, 03 Oct 1998, Andi Kleen wrote:

> But are you sure that the most often reposted patch is necessary the best
> technical solution?

I don't, and from past experience spectating, Linus doesn't either. I'm
sure that if somebody kept sending him an incorrect patch, they'd soon get
some mail telling them it's broken, why it's broken, and to stop sending
him broken patches :)

One method that some developers seem to use that I like is sending the
patches here first for comment. Obviously this can't work in every case
(if the entire Makefile system was rewritten I doubt very much that the
person doing that would send a 200K uuencoded diff to this list ;) but
at least some mention can be made of the patch. Geert and Martin have
been doing that for the console patches - posting the URL to where the
patch can be obtained from along with some explanations of it.

I think parsing patches through the crowd here at linux-kernel is a
sure-fire way of making sure it's of acceptible quality before submitting
to the Emperor Penguin.

Also, many of the subsystems have their own mailing lists. I know that
networking and mm do, I'm sure it's the same for others. It wouldn't hurt
to be working _with_ these groups instead of trying to go over their heads
so to speak if you have a patch for that related area.

--
Matt
(who also thinks Jitterbug should be reenabled)