SubjectRe: Linus is on a powertrip..
> : The current CVS is probably very different from Berliner's 1989 version
>
> Try '92 or so.

The first reference I can find is from 1990 USENIX, so presumably it was
around in 1989.

> : and far more featured.
>
> It's not that different, in fact, it's quite similar as far as I can tell.
> The details might be different, but the basic model is the same,
>
> : But what's is the _real_ choice for the near future ?
>
> http://www.bitmover.com/bitkeeper
>
> I'm in a race with Linus to see if he gets to 2.2 before bitkeeper
> is ready. We'll see, but I'm trying.
>
> If you can't wait, that's fine, then check out Josh M's PRCS (which is
> where xdelta comes from). PRCS is similar to bitkeeper in some respects.
> I think my stuff will be more pragmatic, and will ultimately be more
> popular just because I've worked in large development organizations for
> a long time and have the benefit of that experience. None the less,
> PRCS is pretty cool and Joe Bob says check it out.

Larry, my guess is that you don't know much about my experience. (In
fact, I've been at Sun too.)

As many of you may know, I am currently developing the client/server
version of PRCS in full force. It will remain under the GPL. It has
been two years since PRCS 1.0 was released and many of you may be
thinking that the next version is vaporware, but I have been working on
XDelta since shortly after PRCS was released, and have been in full swing
client/server development since March. I am more confident today than
I was 6 months ago when I wrote a report on the client/server, distributed,
disconnected architecture I wrote up in:

ftp://ftp.xcf.berkeley.edu/pub/prcs/prcs2.ps

I will be releasing XDelta 1.0 in the next few days in its final form,
fully integrated with PRCS and complete with features specially designed
for low-bandwidth distributed file archival. I can only hope that the
community recognizes that developing a complete solution without
the reuse of all the existing, but flawed tools (RCS, SCCS, diff, etc.)
takes much longer than other, less ambitious efforts.

The latest snapshot of my current development are at:

ftp://ftp.xcf.berkeley.edu/pub/jmacd/repo-0.13.tar.gz

This is entirely new code and counts over 30000 lines without any
of the original PRCS code. It is already integrated with SSLeay for
security, Berkeley DB 2, for the repository, XDelta for delta
communication and file archival, and even an implemenation of the
rsync algorithm for synchronizing files with the server when no local
repository cache is available.

-josh

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.047 / U:0.024 seconds]