SubjectRe: dec rz55 drives.
Victor Stanescu wrote:
| is it possible to use in linux a dec rz55 drive? it works from a storage
| expansion box, with simple scsi interface. i could put to work a tz30 tape
| from such a box, but the hdd's do not start. as far as i already heard,
| they need some scsi message like "start", because even if they are
| powered, they don't start to spin.

An RZ55 is a monstrous full height 5.25" SCSI drive, weighing
just under 20 lbs and with a capacity of 300 odd meg. The last one I worked
with -did- start just fine without any host intervention, but that was in a
DEC case. What enclosure are you using for it? Normal enclosures and PC
power supplies are not capable of spinning up an RZ55.

So, you should be able to do it with a proper enclosure, but I guess
the question is, why would you want to? Those drives require more power than
most full systems, and don't have the speed, capacity (and at this point the
reliability) to make it worthwhile.

--msa

--
Majdi Abbas <abbas@cdtelecom.com> Systems/Network Admin
CableData Telecommunications 734.995.5590 x229