SubjectRe: Directory name problem...
Date
Mike A. Harris wrote the following:

> What's more is that someone may have a *legitimate* "core" file
> that is in fact a real core file, that they ARE USING, or ARE
> WANTING TO ANALYZE with gdb. This could for example be the core
> file of a program that cores once every 18 days or so...
> Certainly the person isn't going to be very pleased to wait
> another 18 days to get another corefile to examine. How then do
> you propose to remove THESE core files? Someone has proposed
> checking the atime on the file. What if joe programmer is on a
> month's holidays? A lot of other what-if's come up too.

Speaking as someone who has a command in his .bash_profile
to turn corefiles back ON I have to say Halleluyah Brother! :)

You should not be going around deciding what a user calls their
files and what files in their $HOME the user finds useful. YOU
may not think it's useful to the user but your opinion matters
nil in this respect.

Also, I don't know if other shells have this but as a bash user
I have access to a command called ulimit. Why not set that globally
in /etc/profile but before it's set it should check for the existance
of some file in the users directory (say... .wantcore) and if it
exists to not set the limit of corefile size to 0.

Anyhow, this thread, at best, belongs in linux-admin or linux-newbie
and not linux-kernel. Can we like... move it there from now on?

Please?

And that's my 2 furballs worth.

--
CaT (cat@zip.net.au) URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

There was farting in the air that night,
It lit so bright,
Fernando...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.054 / U:0.084 seconds]