    SubjectParts ^W Linux is Linux
    According to Trever Adams:
    > Is Linux Linux? Or are we going to pull a Linux is Linux but this and
    > that syscall are not available on this or that platform so developers
    > need to know which platform they are on?

    You ought to check over the syscall lists for various architectures.
    They're not as unified as you seem to think.

    > [If] you are going to have a major syscall on several platforms (I
    > imagine Sparc/UltraSparc isn't the only one), you need to have it on
    > all.

    Not necessarily. Sometimes libc is the right place for that kind of

    #ifdef i386
    return 4096;
    return sys_getpagesize();

    That said ... I happen to like sysconf() infinitely more than a unique
    system call for just one system characteristic.
    Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <>
    "... under cover of afternoon in the biggest car in the county?!" //MST3K

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:60.660 seconds]