SubjectBUG? "make modules_install fails with ...

all seems well, I modified my .config today to clean up the kernel a bit
since I decided to give the new trafic shaper code/module a try. Only
thing is that something in the new .config file is causing a problem with
the installation of the modules in 2.1.12[3-6] and possibly earlier:

/bin/sh: /lib/modules/2.1.125/.allmods: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: /lib/modules/2.1.125/.misc: No such file or directory

Those are the only two errors reported.. My previous .config (not listed
below) will produce the module without failure, the new one (*is* listed
below) repeatedly casues a problem. I have already spent 4 hours on this
trying to figure it out and I recently (10 minutes ago) narrowed it down
to a change in the .config file. I created a diff of the two and I am
applying each change one by one until it breaks again, and then I will
remove each of those until it works again until I narrow it down to the
problem.

I'm hoping however that someone out there has a clue what's causing the
problem just form these configs files because obviously this is goignt o
take an incredible while.

(.config that works)
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_M686=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y

CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y

CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_QUIRKS=y
CONFIG_PCI_OLD_PROC=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=y
CONFIG_PARPORT=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_PARIDE_PARPORT=y

CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y

CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DUMMY=y
CONFIG_PLIP=y
CONFIG_SHAPER=y

CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
CONFIG_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_RTC=y

CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
CONFIG_NLS=y

(tyeping this in ugh, all NLS codepages are comiled into kernel, not as
modules)

CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y

CONFIG_SOUND=m
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m
CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB=m
CONFIG_SOUND_SOFTOSS=m
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=m

CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND=y
CONFIG_AWE32_SYNTH=m

If someone could please clue me in i'd appreciate it :)

%--* ely