    SubjectBUG? "make modules_install fails with ...

    all seems well, I modified my .config today to clean up the kernel a bit
    since I decided to give the new trafic shaper code/module a try. Only
    thing is that something in the new .config file is causing a problem with
    the installation of the modules in 2.1.12[3-6] and possibly earlier:

    /bin/sh: /lib/modules/2.1.125/.allmods: No such file or directory
    /bin/sh: /lib/modules/2.1.125/.misc: No such file or directory

    Those are the only two errors reported.. My previous .config (not listed
    below) will produce the module without failure, the new one (*is* listed
    below) repeatedly casues a problem. I have already spent 4 hours on this
    trying to figure it out and I recently (10 minutes ago) narrowed it down
    to a change in the .config file. I created a diff of the two and I am
    applying each change one by one until it breaks again, and then I will
    remove each of those until it works again until I narrow it down to the
    problem.

    I'm hoping however that someone out there has a clue what's causing the
    problem just form these configs files because obviously this is goignt o
    take an incredible while.

    (.config that works)
    CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
    CONFIG_M686=y
    CONFIG_MTRR=y

    CONFIG_MODULES=y
    CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
    CONFIG_KMOD=y

    CONFIG_NET=y
    CONFIG_PCI=y
    CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
    CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
    CONFIG_PCI_QUIRKS=y
    CONFIG_PCI_OLD_PROC=y
    CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
    CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
    CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y
    CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
    CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=y
    CONFIG_PARPORT=y
    CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y

    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
    CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
    CONFIG_PARIDE_PARPORT=y

    CONFIG_PACKET=y
    CONFIG_UNIX=y
    CONFIG_INET=y

    CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
    CONFIG_DUMMY=y
    CONFIG_PLIP=y
    CONFIG_SHAPER=y

    CONFIG_VT=y
    CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
    CONFIG_SERIAL=y
    CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
    CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
    CONFIG_PRINTER=m
    CONFIG_RTC=y

    CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
    CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
    CONFIG_JOLIET=y
    CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
    CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
    CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
    CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
    CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
    CONFIG_NLS=y

    (tyeping this in ugh, all NLS codepages are comiled into kernel, not as
    modules)

    CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y

    CONFIG_SOUND=m
    CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
    CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m
    CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB=m
    CONFIG_SOUND_SOFTOSS=m
    CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=m

    CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND=y
    CONFIG_AWE32_SYNTH=m

    If someone could please clue me in i'd appreciate it :)

    %--* ely

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.022 / U:67.564 seconds]