    SubjectRe: Directory name problem...
    On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Clifford Wolf wrote:

    >> > % Already tried, and he's not interested, but I did find out what script
    >> > % he's using...
    >> >
    >> > % Q> #!/bin/sh
    >> > % Q> XYZZY="`find / -name core`"
    >> > % Q> for LOOP in `find $XYZZY | sort -ru` ; do
    >> > % Q> rm -fr $LOOP
    >> > % Q> done
    >> You know, interesting things will happen when he runs that script
    >> and there are *not* any files named core around...
    >Here you see that his son is using solaris (or is just a little stupid
    >boy - probably both?). The Solaris find gives an error message to stdout
    >if there is no argument - for the GNU find this is an alias for 'find .'
    >Anyway - I don't wonder that a 14 years old boy writes such a code (I've
    >seen a basic program I wrote for the C64 as I was 9 a few days before. It
    >is a horrible code too.) - I just _really_ wonder how an admin of a server
    >(does he really get money for this?) can _use_ such a code ...

    What piques my interest is why in the hell a sys-admin of *ANY*
    system including a private home workstation would use a script
    written by a 14 year old in the first place. Shit, even if
    Linus, Alan, or practically anyone else on this list sent me a
    script for something that was going to run as root, I would be
    scanning it for possible security holes. It is all too easy to
    write a bad script and open up a system. Letting 14 year olds do
    your work for you, is a damned good way to end up unemployed.

    Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

    Linux software galore:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.035 / U:0.188 seconds]