       Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:53:56 -0800 (PST)
    From: Linus Torvalds <>

    On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, David S. Miller wrote:
    > For example, everybody in the egcs camp just decided that clobbers
    > and inputs must not overlap. Nobody told me why, and why they can't
    > just be automatically converted to early-clobbers inside gcc.
    > You're telling the compiler two different things which conflict.

    Which has worked before (and was certainly the _only_ way to do it in
    gcc-1.40 which I started with).

    True, I do remember this problem.

    However, now I feel the argument against the construct is even
    stronger especially since the documentation explicitly states against
    doing it as Berndt has pointed out in another mail.

    We could go on in circles about this issue. But I know that if I
    presented corollary arguments about older Linux kernels it would not
    hold very much water. For example I could construct a similar
    argument about the timeval being modified by select() and that
    0.99pl15 kernels at the time provided no other way to achieve the
    functionality it provided, even though modern kernels do. It used to
    work before, and at that time it was certainly the _only_ way to do

    This doesn't hold water, because we move on and we can make something
    which works without that facility working as "it used to work", so
    please understand our position. We want to improve the compiler
    similar to how we want to improve the kernel, this involves some
    growing pains and some of them require some understanding by both

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:16.556 seconds]