    SubjectIs /proc ASCII or Binary?
    Hi there.

    There's been regular comments over the last few months on the above
    topic, with several viewpoints from each side being put forth.
    However, one apparently simple means of allowing BOTH to coexist has
    just occurred to me, and I'd like to ask what's wrong with it before I
    take it any further...

    When a program opens a file for input, one of the flags it can set on
    that file is the one indicating whether the file is in RAW or COOKED
    mode. Is there any reason why we couldn't make use of this flag with
    the /proc files, with RAW mode producing results in BINARY format
    ready for direct input to another program, and COOKED mode producing a
    human-readable ASCII output?

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.023 / U:6.768 seconds]