    SubjectRe: Directory name problem...
    Khimenko Victor enscribed thusly:
    > 25-Oct-98 20:01 you wrote:
    > > Hi Michael.

    > >> You have GOT to be kidding me!?!?!

    > > Crazy as it sounds, nope...

    > >> Oh beautiful! How about this instead... If you know the name
    > >> of the script (say /usr/local/stupid_BOFH_admin/rmcore) then use this
    > >> instead:

    > >> mkdir -p "BOFH /usr/local/stupid_BOFH_admin/rmcore /core"

    > >> Or how about this:

    > >> mkdir -p '"BOFH | chmod 666 /etc/passwd" /core'

    > >> Or...

    > >> mkdir -p '"BOFH ; chmod 666 /etc/passwd" /core'

    > >> Watch precise quoting carefully. That make take a little fine
    > >> tuning but you get the point...

    > > How about...

    > Guys, please try to avoid showing your BAD script-writers knowledge when you
    > criticize sripts written by others. Of course this script will allow you to
    > remove [almost] any file in system, but this script WILL NOT ALLOW you to
    > execute command from root. Why ? You are joking ? You are really could not
    > understood ? Ok. Take a look:

    I was making a point, not providing a receipe to burn someone. I even
    mentioned that it may "take a little fine tuning but you get the point."

    Apparently you didn't. The point was that this clown did NOT quote
    a shell variable expansion. I intentionally did not point specifically at
    that and left it to be a homework excersize. It doesn't MATTER that the
    exact string I provided wouldn't work. It really wasn't worth the trouble to
    provide a live fire exploit and might potentially cause problems. What was
    important was the idea that shell meta characters were not even being
    considered in the discussion. Unquoted shell variables are an invitation
    to disaster. Are you implying that his code is totally immune to shell
    meta character exploits? If you are that serious, I'll let some of my
    engineers at Internet Security Systems loose and let them come up with
    a few LIVE examples to entertain you.

    And I have much MUCH more destructive toys in my arsenal... (How
    about hashing his entire partition so you can't even recover the superblock).

    I personally think that it would be much more appropriate for him
    to squash his sysadmin before that dude finds a way to be a subject of one
    of my security advisories... With that level of incompetance, I doubt he
    (the BOFH) will ever rise to that level of prominance, but one can never tell.
    Stupidity and incompetance somehow seem to find a way to rise to the surface.

    > -- cut --
    > ++ find / -name core
    > + XYZZY=/tmp/"BOFH | chmod 666 /etc/passwd" /core
    > ++ find '/tmp/"BOFH' '|' chmod 666 '/etc/passwd"' /core
    > find: /tmp/"BOFH: No such file or directory
    > find: |: No such file or directory
    > find: chmod: No such file or directory
    > find: 666: No such file or directory
    > find: /etc/passwd": No such file or directory
    > find: /core: No such file or directory
    > ++ sort -ru
    > -- cut --
    > See ? All metacharacters are correctly hided by bash ... Not in XYZZY= line
    > though, but this is minor error in "set -x"... So all you commands will not
    > be executed... But you still could remove any file on your choice :-)) This
    > should be enough...

    It IS more than enough to be able to remove arbitrary files. Like
    another reader remarked, let's not be pikers, let's "rm -rf /". The idea
    of removing /dev is amusing as well. It doesn't destroy any information.
    everything is totally recoverable. And it's annoying as hell. I LIKE IT.
    It really does beat some of the really destructive ideas I would apply to
    the problem (I tend toward overkill - it saves wear and tear on the cripples).

    To say that bash hides all the meta characters, is still making a
    brash assumption, though. It remains possible, although possibly difficult,
    to set up the correct combinations of meta characters and quotes to execute
    user arbitrary commands or scripts... It makes for an amusing hobby that
    I just happen to get paid to do... :-)

    Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 |
    (The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 |
    PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471 | possible worlds. A pessimist is sure of it!
    Michael H. Warfield, | Voice: (678)443-6000 (678)443-6123
    Senior Researcher - X-Force | Fax: (678)443-6477
    Internet Security Systems, Inc. | E-Mail:
    6600 Peachtree Dunwoody RD NE |
    300 Embassy Row, Suite 500 |
    Atlanta, GA 30328 | PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.030 / U:16.556 seconds]