    Subject.126 umsdos oopzen
    Date

    I got a fresh whole 2.1.126, got awk so I could menuconfig,
    pointed gcc 2.7.2.3 at it, and it wouldn't link. umsdos
    stuff unfound. I looked in fs/umsdos/dir.c, and that static
    thing Sulmicki took out in his patch, or something similar,
    still seemed to be there. Anyway, I deleted one occurence
    of the word "static" in that file, and it linked. With PCI
    and MCA support, ext2 and umsdos. There were 2 warnings
    about assignment from incompatible pointer type in main.c,
    otherwise a clean build.
    Tried to boot to the DOS FAT umsdos partition that the gcc that
    built it is on, and I got an oops 0002 like in .125pre/ac,
    "unable to handle kernel paging request". Also had to tell it
    /dev/sdc when in fact that partition is on sda. That is, what
    everything else tells me are sda sdb and sdc, 2.1.125 and 6
    are telling me is sdc sdb and sda. This is on
    an MCA PS2.

    Made a floppy, rdev'ed for the klone, and it booted to
    hda1. yay. Got an oops there too, but it wasn't fatal.
    It also was a kernel paging request, but the virtual address
    in question was in the c0000000 range.
    hda2 on the klone is FAT 32, with a live umsdos
    Linux on it. rdev'ed the floppy for that, and got a similar
    fatal oops to the one on the PS2, with a pertinent virtual
    address in the 30000000 range, like on the PS2.

    Back to the PS2, booted to msdos...
    loadlin bzimage root=/dev/sdc5 rw boots. yay. Slackware
    bitches about the rw, but it croaked on ro. And this is
    not /dev/sdc5. It's /dev/sda5. But it boots. Still no
    umsdos on either box tho.

    I hope there's some info there for somebody. I could use some.

    Rick Hohensee http://cqi.com/~humbubba

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:32.676 seconds]