    SubjectRe: [patch] my latest oom stuff
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Btw, Andrea, if you find the CPU looping busily in "kswapd", could you try
    > to instrument it a bit more?
    > The thing is, kswapd shouldn't even _allow_ that kind of endless looping.
    > It forces itself to sleep at regular intervals by doing
    > current->state = TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE;
    > schedule();
    > inside its loop. So even if we're really low on memory, it should always
    > allow other processes to run for at least a fractional jiffy (after which
    > the timer tick will wake it up again). Certainly long enough for another
    > process to notice that it ran out of memory and kill itself.

    Linus, FWIW in a non-measured case, I've noticed the kswapd
    occassionally take 90% CPU (with top) if I run without any swap (144M
    RAM), but if I add 128M swap, I never see it. In fact, with the swap
    active, it hardly ever gets used, but seems to really affect the system
    with none available.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:48.180 seconds]