SubjectRe: 9G disk, >4 partitions, and lose95
At 18:19 98/10/19 -0500, you wrote:

>I, with many years of Linux and DOS experience, and several installs of
>Lose95 under my belt, went to install Linux AND lose95 on my new 9G Viking
>II hard disk.

I have a similar experience. OSR2 cannot access >8G with partition type
0x5, and what's worse, it doesn't really work with type 0xf either! I
think it was trying to access >1024 cyl and actually wrapped around, so if
I make a 9G FAT32 partition the partition table would get corrupted after
some time. I reformatted and re-set up several times before giving up and
used type 0x5. Now I have all these space at the end of the HD that Win95
can't access (but Linux and NT can, I'll probably use it for that).

I am not sure if this is a BIOS or HD firmware or Win95 bug, and the disk
is not under heavy use so I don't know if there is any remaining problem.

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:1.215 / U:0.880 seconds]