SubjectRe: wtmp problems (with "last")
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Neil Conway wrote:

> [wtmp corrupted]
>
> I tracked these down to what I *think* is happening: when someone logs
> OUT, whichever program updates the file isn't finding the right entry,
> and makes a bogus one at the end. I didn't get any further than that
> due to lack of time and ability ;-)

Maybe 'last' and other utilities meddling with wtmp compiled using
different versions of the glibc? AFAIK, from glibc 2 the structure of the
wtmp entries have changed a bit to have enough space for IPv6 addresses.
Check out the binaries using ldd (especially login, logout and last)

Carsten

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans