SubjectRe: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> You can get a lot of that from /proc already.

Yes, but:
1. /proc requires parsing. Do we really win if we save 50 bytes from
the kernel at the cost of 5000 bytes in libc? Yes, libc is swappable
but they both need to fit on the disk.
2. /proc isn't universally available. Not neccesarily a big deal.
Just hope that nothing early in your rc scripts need correct sysconf
values.
3. Worse, if /proc needs to be mounted in every chroot you use if
you want sysconf to work.

Building sysconf peicemeal out of /proc is A) broken and B) ugly.

> Quite frankly, I don't care about theory. Yes, in theory there's a lot you
> need. In practice, I don't see any real people clamouring for it.

In theory we're tring to get closer to UNIX98 compliance.

> And discussing this at this point is useless anyway. It's not getting past
> the code-freeze - if people haven't been needing it before now, there's no
> excuse for saying that we need it NOW.

And I respect that. That is _fine_. The only reason I mention it now is
because it's getting in my way now. However, it would be nice if you could
at least think about it, realize that this is the correct approach, and
put in sys_sysconf, sys_pathconf, and sys_fpathconf as ENOSYS stubs.
That way things like glibc and m68k-native-patch could start targeting
that interface. Or if you have some other idea on how it should be
implemented, tell us so we can do it that way. Please rethink your
do-it-in-libc-at-all-costs stance, though.

-Mitch

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.091 / U:1.484 seconds]