Subjectlibc not compatible with glibc...
Hi Alan.

>> Related to the above is a simple trick to lock up a system...

>> ln -s /proc/kcore ~/.plan

>> or even

>> ln -s /dev/zero ~/.plan

>> Next time somebody fingers you...

> My system is fine when I do that. Firstly fingerd runs as nobody
> with resource limits here, secondly it checks for device files

In that case, can I presume that your fingerd is using glibc rather
than libc since I was getting my system crashing due to a user who'd
set the first of the above, and when I upgraded fingerd from a libc
version to an identically numbered version using glibc, the crashes
stopped...

Incidentally, related to the above, my system was originally clean
installed from RedHat 5.0 which includes some items compiled against
libc as well as many compiled against libc and had since been upgraded
from the various upgrade RPM's on RedHat's site. However, it had
become seriously unstable, and I finally tracked down why: Some of the
major system utilities were compiled against glibc and others against
libc and they really hated the combination...

I have now upgraded ALL the installed RPM's on my system to glibc
versions, to the extent that I have been able to remove libc
completely from my system - and it will NOT be going back...

I can additionally report that it's good to have Linux's fabled
stability back again...

Best wishes from Riley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.040 / U:0.296 seconds]