SubjectRe: WINMODEM driver
Date

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Lorenzini <hwm@netcom.com>
To: Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hps@tanstaafl.de>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tuesday, October 20, 1998 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: WINMODEM driver

>On 20 Oct 1998, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
>
>> I have a notebook with onboard modem. What should I do, rip it out?
>
>Not necessary. Disable and insert pcmcia card. You do have a pcmcia slot
>don't you? A friend just plugged his notebook with internel modem into
>some system where it did not belong. Repairs on this brand name would
>take weeks, for this reason and others I will avoid purchasing notebooks
>with internel modems and would never buy a win_anything. I just bought
>(2) 56K pcmcia modems at Frys for $79US each. The difference between
>winmodems and real modems is now only a few dollars, hardly worth all the
>work involved in what would probably be a futile effort to get a majority
>of them to work with linux. IMHO, being the DS that I am. :-)

Prices at a recent computer show:

ISA 56K X2 regular modem (cirrus logic): $40 (cheapest: not well know
company (good web support though))
PCI (ISA same price range) 56K v90 Modem (WinModem I think): $27
(cheapest: generic but from a well know company)

While the price difference is only a few bucks, the difference in price is
about 30 percent (to 50% depending on the brand). Certainly significant
especially when setting up a bunch of computers. And this price difference
can becomes greater as you go for a name brand modem. (Especially at retail
prices) USR WinModems can be gotten for about $50 while their real modem
cousins go for about $100. Thats about a $50 difference; enougth of a
difference for many people between having a modem and not having it. That
said I agree with you that WinModems are a piece of cr@p; however I'd still
like support for it. Note: customers do not like rebuying equipment that
they assumed that they already owned. They usually suspect that you are
trying to rip them off on billable time and equipment.

>Bob - hwm@netcom.com
>

>-

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:1.170 / U:0.316 seconds]