SubjectRe: Cyrix Detection -- NO SMP, please ?????
In <19981021034637.C377@uni-koblenz.de> ralf@uni-koblenz.de (ralf@uni-koblenz.de) wrote:
r> On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 03:48:47AM +0400, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> embedded system ? Read before answer... For embedded system you'll not use
>> modern full-blown distribution with GNOME (KDE) based desktop...

r> People all have a so limited idea of what an embedded system can run and
r> do. I started the MIPS port of Linux at Waldorf Electronics in '94 as part
r> of a killer synthesizer project. A synthesizer with a gig of RAM and with
r> it's 65 processors enough compute power to be covered by those military
r> export restrictions and X GUI blows most people imagination of what embedded
r> systems are. Yet it fits perfectly in the definition of the term ``embedded
r> system''.

Yes, embedded systems are very powerfull sometimes, but still:
1. It's unclear how to use precompiled for i386 kernel on such MIPS0based
system :-))
2. Most (if not all) i386-based embedded systems are not powerfull enough to
use modern full-blown distribution with GNOME (KDE) based desktop...
3. Creators of embedded systems MUST be familiar with Linux enough to be able
to recompile kernel. Users of RedHat in most cases are unaware of such
process.
4. You'll not use standard distribution for embedded systems -- some
components could be borowed (like GNOME for powerfull systems :-), but
precompiled KERNEL from standard distribution ? You are joking...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.096 / U:0.028 seconds]