    SubjectRe: Memory Mystery..
    On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 07:32:47PM +0200, Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Dean Henrichsmeyer wrote:
    > > I've come acrossed an odd reoccuring problem which I cannot solve. With
    > > kernels say..121 through 125, everything will be fine for about 8 days or
    > > so, then when I do something like a 'who', I get "Memory Exhausted" or a
    > > segfault.
    > I have gotten the same error(s) on an old 486 with kernel 2.0.34 and
    > 2.0.35. (well, I tend to run w) I sincerely suspect the RAM to be faulty
    > in my case.
    > Could the same be true for you?
    > Mads
    > ---
    > Mads Bondo Dydensborg.
    > ---

    I have also had the same problem. I concluded it was a bug in 'who', since
    'who /var/log/wtmp' would work when just 'who' would not. (by default, who
    reads the file /var/run/utmp, btw.) In addition, 'w' did work at the same
    time when 'who' did not. 'w' and 'who' appear to be from completely
    different source on my computer.

    A 'strace who' showed that 'who' died near the end of parsing the utmp file.

    Replacing the utmp file by the utmp file from another computer made who
    work correctly, (aside from the fact that it printed the output for a
    different computer.)

    I was planning to investigate the matter further, but after I logged out,
    'who' stopped crashing. If someone can send me a copy of /var/run/utmp
    that causes 'who' to crash, I would be happy to look into it.

    I never observed a "memory exhausted" error, but I'm guessing it's a
    red herring.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.022 / U:4.328 seconds]