SubjectRe: Motherboard design specifically for Linux
On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 07:08:09PM +0100, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On 21-Oct-98 Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> >> a floppy would be much better
> >> and then again, what about ls-120?
> > Ouch, you'd need to have a full IDE/ATAPI driver inside the non-writable part
> > of the ROM, which I don't think is a good idea.
>
> i know
> that is why i asked the question
>
> i've built a couple of machines recently with no floppy (just ls-120) which
> after all will read/write ordinary floppies
> some motherboards i've used have a bios which treats an ls-120 as if it were a
> floppy and map it to a: etc. then again, some other motherboards do not do
> this.
>
> i was proposing that the linux motherboard (with it's 2MB of cache :-) will do
> the former

The serial (and/or floppy) loading mechanism was intended, in this thread, to
allow fix a badly flashed rom, as a last resort when nothing else helps.

Thus there is not a big need for nifty LS120 or whatever support. This would
be handled by the Linux kernel itself, booting off the flash rom directly.

There would be no need for a harddrive driver in the flash rom r/o part, except
for Linux's own as well - no need for int 13 to read the kernel from the
harddrive, when it is in the flash.

Vojtech

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.305 / U:0.024 seconds]