    SubjectRe: pre-2.1.126-2 sd.c does not build as module
    Date
    Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net> writes:

    > I have an idea for compilation testing:

    > for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ; do
    > for j in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ; do
    > make randomconfig
    > make vmlinux modules || (echo 'FAILED' ; exit 1)

    Perhaps something like

    make randomconfig $i $j
    make... || echo $i $j FAILED
    make clean

    > done
    > done
    >
    > The missing piece is a 'make randomconfig' option that answers
    > all the questions randomly without human intervention.

    <thought source="shower">
    Could it be possible using an (SG|X)ML document for the configuration,
    so that we could ensure only compatible options could legally be
    selected with the DTD?

    It is a pretty straightforward thing to parse such a file with SAX and
    produce the right CONFIG_* options, and as an added bonus you get to use
    emacs for editing your configuration. The business logic embedded in
    config.in (
    if [ "$CONFIG_..." = "y" ]; then
    bool 'blah blah' CONFIG_....
    ) could be embedded in a DTD instead, and it would be pretty
    straightforward to verify that a config is a legal combination of
    options for that particular kernel version.

    I guess it was a silly idea, really. Tell me if you want a suggestion
    for a DTD.
    </thought>

    ~kzm