    SubjectRe: Linux 2.1.125 doesn't dump core on SIGSEGV
    On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 11:11:53PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

    > As you say, there's still a race. It's better to leave a gaping
    > hole which obviously needs fixing than a subtle one, so Linus
    > wouldn't accept it.
    >
    > How about:
    >
    > lock_vfs()
    > stat()
    > open()
    > unlock_vfs()
    >
    > As I said, it's only useful in the core dump case, but that's the
    > original context of this discussion. We can worry about safe temp
    > file creation later.

    Hmm... I'm not sure how the lock_vfs semantics would work and no
    interfere with the stat and open calls.

    Assuming that isn't a problem, this isn't a bad solution but it would
    suck rocks for time critical stuff (rt-linux?) which might be writing
    data out to disk, then some other process goes and dumps core on an
    old ESDI same-day-service disk with abysmal seeks times... (making
    the stat take a _long_ time, the open would be a (d)cache hit).

    I'm thinking this is much harder than I envisaged, and we should
    declare core dumps and root `a bad thing' until we can get O_NOFOLLOW
    semantics in the vfs.

    Perhaps a sysclt /proc/sys/kernel/allow_root_coredump ?

    -cw

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:31.132 seconds]