SubjectRe: Memory Mystery..
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Dean Henrichsmeyer wrote:

> I've come acrossed an odd reoccuring problem which I cannot solve.
> With kernels say..121 through 125, everything will be fine for about
> 8 days or so, then when I do something like a 'who', I get "Memory
> Exhausted" or a segfault. There is no load, and nothing seems to be
> grabbing memory. This happens with 128 megs of ram on the box and
> nothing running. /proc/meminfo shows all the memory being used and
> it's hitting swap...
[SNIP]

If you could give us some info about the load on the box,
the status of kswapd (S?) and a bit of free and vmstat
output, then I would even be able to say something that
makes sense :)

In the meantime, I can only comment that the 2.1 VM
layer is rock-solid and that this is the first report
of the kind I've seen since 2.1.89...

succes,

Rik.