SubjectRe: Definition of "realtime"
And lo, Albert D. Cahalan saith unto me:
> Olaf Titz writes:
>
> > A problem is "hard realtime" if time constraints are involved in the
> > specification of the problem such that, when the time constraint is
> > not met, the behaviour of the program is seen as _not correct_.
> > Note the last two words. The definition doesn't deal with possible
> > consequences from wrong behaviour, it just states that the behaviour
>
> This distinction is not useful then, since the success of a hard
> real-time process may be far less important than the on-time behavior
> of a soft real-time process.
Not useful to you, perhaps. However, it is at least a design decision,
and in fact has implementation consequences: hard realtime avoids all
possibility of missing deadlines, whereas soft realtime avoids missing
deadlines where possible and attempts to handle failures when deadlines
are missed.

> It is only the consequences that matter, and the OS can not determine
> how expensive the consequences are. Humans let the OS know, and the
> OS must avoid missing deadlines.
Humans must *make* the OS avoid missing deadlines, if they are designing
the OS or the system.

> (so it was bad to bother Richard Gooch with such a pointless question)
The original error I pointed out (whose, I don't remeber, but it was
consistent) was a completely different confusion: shortness of deadline
and/or very low slack time/permissible latency was being confused with
the hardness of the real time system. You may have pooh-poohed a
clarification of a different error, but nonetheless you seem to be
scoffing without understanding what you're scoffing at. If I knew of
a good RTOS book, I'd be recommending it to you right now.

Keith

--
"The avalanche has already started; |Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com |"Zooty,
it is too late for the pebbles to |KDE: http://www.kde.org | zoot