    SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
    Hi

    > > Another feature that we can perhaps learn from this excellent company
    > > is the "snapshot" function.

    > The downside is the increased amount of disk space. Why not use the
    > algorithm that cvs uses to keep the size of changed files down to the
    > minimum? I.e using deltas?

    As far as I know it uses copy-on-write.. this means that you only have one
    copy of the data - the most recent. Snapshots are only the bytes that
    are different... applied (as a patch would be) to the most recent version.

    I presume that there is some kind of loss - the patch must have a minimum
    block size for stuff to be efficient.

    Oskar

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:95.352 seconds]