SubjectRe: 2.1.125: Locks when running out of ISA DMA buffers ?
Date
> Transmit buffers also need to be in DMA'able memory; if the network
> layer passes a buffer above 16 MB, a new buffer is allocated with
> GFP_DMA and data is copied to this buffer before transmission.

And if there are no new buffers to allocate ?

> So - is anyone else having problems with ISA DMA cards in 2.1.125 ?

No but the Z85230 driver which has similar properties in its DMA use always
has a bounce buffer handy, as does every other driver I know. They grab
a bounce buffer at set up time and hold onto it

That way you dont get caught. Trying to force receive buffers to come from
an ISA DMA pool is pretty bad manners to the system as well. Its also going
to break some day when faster routing code starts getting the target driver to
provide a buffer for the source

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.044 / U:2.096 seconds]