SubjectRe: Linux [+ UDI] vs Microsoft
Date
>> The big advantage that M$ has in this area is their vast database of
>> hardware information and an installer that can usually identify and
[snip]
>> Microsoft can easily collect configuration information from hardware
>> vendors because of its dominant position in the marketplace.

UDI can help a lot in this direction. If they force public specs/source.

Actually, I find it quite interesting that individual UDI members don't want to
force source distribution themselves. For example, what does Sun benefit from
UDI when the vast majority of UDI drivers are binary only and only for x86? (I
can rephrase that if you like: what did Digital/SGI benefit from NT drivers
when the vast majority of NT drivers were binary only and only for x86?)

Andrej

--
Andrej Presern, andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si