SubjectRe: 921Kbps on Linux: is it possible ?!?!
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> So sure, we can add support for faster speeds, but I still stand by my
> statement that I suspect very, very few people will be using speeds
> greater than 230400. Aside from serial boards wanting to boast that
> they can do high speeds (and some of the ones who claim they can that
> I've tested really can't --- but it's not a problem because most people
> will never notice), there simply much in the way of hardware peripherals
> that use the higher speeds. I've seen a very few modems that support
> 230400, but that's about it. And if you're doing computer-to-computer
> data transfers, why are you using a serial line? Use Ethernet instead;
> it's way faster, and that's what it's designed for.

Not just Ethernet: I'm _very_ interested to see how fast we can get an
operational USB or Firewire interconnect. USB is coming on very strong in
the laptops, and the ability to just "jack in" to a USB receiver on some
other piece of equipment is very tempting. This wouldn't be much use
between normal PCs (as USB is master/slave with different upstream &
downstream plugs, not peer-to-peer), but the monolithic USB controllers
are looking _very_ sweet, to the point that a generic parallel or serial
interface to a USB socket may soon be just as easy to build as an RS-232
interface, with all of the USB improvements over 232. USB may have its own
problems, but I'm getting sick of gender changes, null modems, baud rate
settings, etc.

Firewire adds to this by being _real_ fast, and peer-to-peer to boot. It
might just be better then Ethernet for hooking a few computers together.