    SubjectBreaking the 64MB barrier
    Greetings,

    I am aware that passing the "mem=XX" option in LILO overcomes this
    problem; this is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with what I'm
    about to ask (for you rapid-reply "RTFM" people).

    The question is this: I had a debate with someone about the 64MB+
    memory issue with Linux. Their position is that it's a bug in the kernel,
    and mine was that it was an x86 BIOS limitation. I have two questions:
    1.) who's right? 2.) How is it that Microsoft is able to deal with this
    without a bootloader option, and we can't? Seems this is a sizeable flaw
    (regardless of the cause) for systems where the memory amount may be
    changed dynamically. If this is indeed a kernel limitation, what would be
    required to get past it?

    thanks,
    -bp
    --
    B. James Phillippe . bryan@terran.org
    UNIX Software Engineer . http://www.terran.org/~bryan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.026 / U:30.248 seconds]