SubjectRe: Linux vs Microsoft
Date
In article <linux.kernel.19981013160936.C18416@thyrsus.com>,
Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
>Tim Towers <tim@lorien.demon.co.uk>:
>> Dear Richard,
>>
>> Hmm, commercially, I would expect all the
>> "open source" medievel knights to get mown
>> down by the Microsoft Tank. Once you've shipped
>> an OS with the PC that people buy they'll
>> generally stick with it, and in an office
>> environment the OS and App mix from Microsoft
>> makes a lot of sense on the desktop.
>>
>> There's only a one in a million chance that
>> either the US DoJ lawsuit, or Microsoft's
>> own inertia will cause it to fail.
>>
>> As Terry Pratchett noticed, though, one in
>> a million chances happen quite regularly.
>>
>> Tim Towers
>> Merrill Lynch, Architecture & Strategy
>
>With due respect, Mr. Towers...if Microsoft could crush us, it would
>already have done so. It is now several months too late for them to
>succeed.

Maybe. It strikes me as a bad idea to underestimate the esteemed
Mr. Gates, because Microsoft is a lot nimbler and smarter than
anybody thinks it is.

>Their window began to close when the first of the enterprise database
>announcements hit the streets. With Oracle's announcement of a
>bundled, supported, Oracle-over-Linux combination on CD-ROM offering
>the 24/7 reliability unattainable with NT, it has effectively slammed shut.

How many big relational databases were ported to OS/2, and what is
your opinion of the future of OS/2?

____
david parsons \bi/ I'll start getting cocky when Linux has 30% market
\/ share.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.146 / U:0.288 seconds]