    SubjectRe: Is the kernel compiler gcc by definition?

    On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 05:48:23PM -0400, RHS Linux User wrote:
    > Is there a policy on what C constructs may be in the kernel?
    > Or is gcc the de-facto definition of what kind of code is allowed?
    > Or something else?

    My believe is the standard de facto is Alan not gcc itself. Gcc is ANSI C
    compliant with some GNU extensions. Usually you can put any ANSI C
    constructs into the kernel.

    > Does anything in the normal arguments to gcc preclude the use of gcc's
    > labels-as-values? ( computed gotos).
    > I did a quick grep for goto * and got no hits.
    gotos are part of ansi c. They just make for very ugly programs. The use of
    gotos in C is disencouraged 99.99% of the time cause it makes for spagheti

    > Labels-as-values is a case where gcc is more low-level than "C", and is
    > crucial to certain things, like the inner interpreter of gForth, and the
    > Forth-like critter I'm ( back burner) working on.
    I never did Forth but i'm almost sure i'm glad the kernel was not written in
    forth heehhe.

    - --
    Carlos Morgado - -
    PGP Key fingerprint = 43 BF 53 98 EB 32 F5 17 9E EB 77 1F 57 8C C6 83
    Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flame thrower.

    Version: 2.6.3i
    Charset: noconv

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:1.496 seconds]