    SubjectRe: Richard Gooch
    On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 06:06:33AM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
    > Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:22:20 -0700 (PDT)
    > From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr@baby-dragons.com>
    >
    > I myself haven't seen one of the mis-guided auto-replies in
    > my mailbox (yet) . So I'll ask those that did . Did the
    > offending auto-replies actually get sent, cc'd,... to one
    > of the lists ? , or were they directed to a particular
    > individual ?
    >
    > The issue is that he cannot, by himself, unilaterally decide what is
    > proper content for the list. By setting up the auto-responder he is
    > doing in fact this, telling people what is proper content for the
    > list. Who gave him this right, not me, not anyone on the list,
    > nobody. So he shouldn't be doing this crap. I don't even do things
    > like that.

    What are you talking about? He sent mail to people that he though
    were posting off-topic on this list. I think what he did was quite
    reasonable. It is important that people fight spam, and discussing
    gun-control on linux-kernel is SPAM, nothing else.

    Nobody but the people that contributed to the gun-control discussion
    have lowered the signal/noise ratio on this list. Setting up an
    auto-responder has no effect on the signal/noise ratio on this list.

    > Doing it with automated scripts is even more offensive and
    > disrespectivful. If he isn't interested in truly sending the
    > inconvenienced or offended in some way.

    I think it is acceptable and appropriate to annoy any people that are
    discussing gun-control on the linux-kernel list.

    astor

    --
    Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
    http://www.guardian.no/