    SubjectRe: How to invoke burst-read on PCI mapped memory area
    Many thanks for much reply!

    > > If I believe word of my colleague (I believe), 440BX chipset must have such
    > > capability. (To convert burst-read (aka cache line fill) on host bus
    > > to burst-read transaction on PCI)
    > > I do not have enough time to validate his word right now, but does this
    > > behavior sounds so strange ?
    >
    > not so much. I have no trouble to believe that BX's have such a cabability
    > (at last !!) but the point is that it's not a WinNT feature, but a BX one.
    Of course, I know.
    But from my understanding, Linux (at least v2.0.X) does not have such
    feature (vremap() with cache attribute control).
    I dislike Windoze, but WinNT has it.

    > If you could 'track' your colleague to get some information on the
    > register to tweek, you'd be useful to a lot of people.
    > In the mean time, i'll try to download BX specs from Intel site.
    > regards.
    He do not touch anything about chipset/cpu register setting.

    He just use following WinNT system call:
    MmMapIoSpace(
    mappedAddr, // Physical Address
    memCount[i], // Number of Bytes (Memory map size)
    cacheEnable); // CacheEnable
    Rest of jobs are done by WinNT executive.

    By the way, I'm porting device driver written for 2.0.X to 2.1.X to
    use __ioremap() call.
    Almost completed, other than one point.

    In mmap_xxxx() function, I use vma->vm_inode like this:

    int chigasaki_mmap(struct inode *inode, struct file *filp,
    struct vm_area_struct *vma)
    {
    vma->vm_inode = inode;
    inode->i_count++;
    }

    But on v2.1.X, vm_inode member is missing from struct vm_area_struct.
    Would anyone help me how should I rewrite this ?

    Thank you in advance.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:3.149 / U:0.044 seconds]