    SubjectRe: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft

    On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Alex Buell wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > > 2:31am up 482 days, 6:24, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.08
    > >
    > > I take it this particular kernel doesn't have the
    > > bugfix yet :)
    > Wasn't there an idea mentioned in the l-k mailing list a few months ago
    > where one could load a new kernel in place of the kernel whilst the system
    > is still up and running? What became of that?
    This would be something I would consider very worth-while, if it is
    possible. I'm no where near a good enough coder (yet?) to be able to write
    this myself, but a thought would be to have a simple boot-strap that held
    everything still while the change was done.
    Users would see a lag time in response while the change was done
    because I would think it'd basically have to be atomic (I can't see any
    other way...), but when running a production envirnment as I do that's
    greatly preferrable to having to reboot, which on some of the machines
    I use has to be planned out weeks ahead and takes months to accomplish
    unless the need is extremely great, ie: the system is about to fall flat
    on it's face. :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:13.988 seconds]